Thursday, October 2, 2014

It Involves a Home Video of Me and a Snuggie

Hi y'all!

My week got off to a roaring start. Monday started with very little sleep and consisted of 3 exams and a 30 minute speaking presentation, and finally ended with (thankfully) not a night of work but instead I treated myself to a night of pampering and relaxation. AKA the guys and I watched the Patriots game and I made loads of coffee, hot chocolate, and fried potatoes. I also gave myself a facial and took about an hour long shower. It was much deserved.

It was a really stressful day and the weekend wasn't much better as I was working full time and studying where I could and running around everywhere. I couldn't help but notice my anxiety levels were at an all time high this weekend, so obviously not a good time. But I'm back!

A couple of things that got me through the weekend:

My mom is a constant support in my life right now. She can calm me down with any hyper-stressful situation I'm dealing with and is constantly giving me lil' bits of wisdom to help me out with everything. One of her "pro-tips" is to make a gratitude list, which is exactly what it sounds like. I've been writing down 8 or 9 things every night that I've been grateful for throughout the day. It sounds silly, but it's been very calming and is a gentle reminder that even on the worst days, there is always something to be happy about, whether it's vanilla scented candles or a cute guy making you coffee on Sunday morning. (Also, shout-out to my friend Pedro who makes incredible Nutella pancakes!)

Netflix, of course, also helped me stay sane this weekend. My weakness is Law and Order: SVU, which is the most comforting show to me. I don't know why, because the show focuses on rape and other sex crimes and is very dark and edgy... But for whatever reason, the show always has the ability to calm me down after something stressful. If you've never seen it, I highly recommend.

Lastly, I also owe coffee a shout-out for getting me through the weekend. Thank you coffee for never letting me down. You are forever and always bae.

As I mentioned in my last post, I was going to talk about joining the YouTube community and what I found along the way. However, what I found was too terrifying to show the world (let's just say it involves a home video of me and a Snuggie and I'm speaking in French very badly) and so we'll talk about YouTube some other time.

Today I wanted to share with you some music odds and ends!

Music is one of those constants in my life that is always there to pick me up when I'm feeling down. If we're being honest, music got me through high school, and is currently getting me through college. This weekend alone was stressful, but I also have things going on in my life that have shot my anxiety through the roof and have caused me to experience a panic attack or two. For those of you who have gone through these in your life, they suck majorly. But I'm always able to pull myself out of it with some feel-good music.

As I've said before, Spotify is life. For $5 a month, you get unlimited, ad-free music listening on your laptop or on the go. My favorite feature that I've found so far is Spotify's ability to recommend amazing new music based on what you've been listening to. I chose a few of my all-time favorite "cheer up" songs and Spotify helped me to compile an entire playlist that I have been LOVING. I also have some rainy day playlists, jazz playlists, and then pop hits radio (it's a weakness, I know, I know).

Songs you should check out?

  • Anything by Betty Who. She's a queen.
  •  Lea Michele's debut album, Louder
  • I'm Only Joking by KONGOS
  • Tongues by Joywave/KOPPS
  • Bleachers. Anything by Bleachers.
  • The entirety of Camp by Childish Gambino. But listen to the songs in order.
  • Maroon 5's newest album. Need I say more?
  • On Our Way by The Royal Concept
  • Siberia by LIGHTS
  • Not On Drugs by Tove Lo
  • The Kite String Tangle, they're amazing.
  • Troye Sivan's new EP, TRXYE. 
  • London Grammar, another fantastic band.
  • Also, Banks. She is a GODDESS. Also, her song Goddess is *swoons*
  • And as a classic: Stars by Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
I'm one of those people who likes to listen to music 24/7 (if possible) and I'm always looking for new music in the world. I'm thinking from here on out I'll give you guys a "Top Five" list each week of the songs I've been listening to on nonstop repeat,


Until then, love y'all, bye!


1 comment: