Monday, October 6, 2014

Four Coffees and a Bag of Doritos

Hi there!

I apologize, my life's been so incredibly busy lately that not only do I barely have time to blog but I barely have time to sleep or eat. It's been hectic, but completely 100% worth it, and you're about to see why! Most of it's been due to classwork and my jobs (this whole balancing 30-40 hours of work a week and also keeping up on classwork is meh) but some of it's been due to Husky Ambassadors! I haven't actually talked about my involvement in Husky Ambassadors a lot, but today you're about to get a huge dose of Husky Pride *insert confetti emoji here*

Side note: it makes me incredibly mad I can't actually use emojis in my blog posts. *insert red angry face emoji here*

So yesterday was Husky Ambassador's 2014 Fall Training and if I were asked to sum it up in a single word, I simply wouldn't be able to. Yesterday marked the official one year anniversary of my actual involvement in Husky Ambassadors, the student organization that organizes all campus tours for our university. One year ago yesterday, I was a terrified freshman who didn't like talking to people but was utterly excited to turn the page and become someone who could talk to anyone. One year ago yesterday marked the first day of the best year of my life. (Sorry, I'm totally getting really emotional and sappy...)

Throughout last year, I made a name for myself in the Admissions office, not because I wanted to become someone of importance there, but because it was simply fun for me. I was able to open up in the Visitor Center, make my closest friends there, and have a safe space at the end of the day where everyone was incredibly accepting and wonderful. I came into college as a shy and timid girl and through this incredible program, I feel I have emerged as a much more confident and independent young woman (who doesn't feel like vomiting before publicly speaking). It truly is amazing what a little dose of positivity in the workplace can do for a person.

After doing so much last year, I was recommended to apply to the Husky Development Committee this fall, a committee of 15 students that work as leaders of the Husky Packs in HA and guide their own assigned groups of tour guides and minglers throughout the year. I jumped at the opportunity and when I was accepted, I may or may not have actually screamed. The other people in HDC are equally fabulous (shout-out to y'all, I adore you so so so much) and every Thursday for the past few weeks we've been having meetings to prepare for Fall Training.

So yesterday, then, was a culmination of weeks and weeks of our efforts to construct what we hoped would be a flawless training session. And while it may not have been ***Flawless, it was pretty amazing. If any of you follow my Twitter, you can get a pretty good idea of how the day went, but here are some highlights:











Not to mention the fantastic photos that came out of yesterday:






And I certainly couldn't forget a shout-out to my own Husky Pack, the Wollaston's pack (aka My Smallaston's)! We're gonna kick some serious ass on HA Field Day.

Yesterday was very surreal at times, as I was incredibly excited to be there and also hyped up on a lot of coffee, but was also remembering what it felt like being in the newbies' shoes a year ago and how I looked up to the HA leaders then and now I was that someone they might look up to and just, wow. Nostalgia. Also a lot of pride. I never would have seen myself where I am today at this time last year. So I guess I owe everyone a very sincere thank you. You've all given me so much and have supported me every step of the way so far.

So now that I've fangirled a considerable amount and have gotten extremely sappy AND you know why I haven't been sleeping or eating (my day yesterday started with 4 coffees and ended with a party-sized bag of Doritos, yay), I can let you know what my Top Five songs are for the week!

  1. Arcadia // The Kite String Tangle
  2. Fast Car // Tracy Chapman
  3. Fun // Troye Sivan
  4. Money On My Mind // Sam Smith
  5. Candles // Daughter

I find the subdued music helps me to focus when I have a lot to get done. It's definitely re-energizing and relaxing, and calms me down when things get a little *too* hectic. Like yesterday night after training ended.

If you cared enough to read about my sappy Husky Ambassador experiences, thank youuuuuu :)

Until next time guys, love y'all bye!


No comments:

Post a Comment